Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Poems


Today is Memorial Day, a day for us to remember those who gave their lives in war, a day to feel grateful, a day to honor, a day to cherish.  You can find three sad-beautiful poems for Memorial Day at Kate Coombs' blog, Book Aunt:  "Medals", "November 5, 1917", and "Before the War".  At Charles Ghinga's Father Goose blog, you can read a haunting poem titled "Baseball Dreams".  I read these four poems on Friday and found myself thinking about them on and off throughout our family's weekend camping trip.

I offer these two poems today, in honor and memory of those who lost their lives in service of our country.




Today at The Writer's Almanac, you can read a poem titled "Memorial Day" by Dennis Caraher.

(Please click on COMMENTS below to share a thought.)

5 comments:

  1. "Questions" is such a thought provoking, incredibly moving, powerfully poignant poem! I can hear my childrens' voices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alix,
    Memorial Day is simply a very humbling holiday. I am grateful that "Questions" touched you. That voice just wanted to come out.
    Warmly,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,

    Your Memorial Day poems are so poignant and beautifully written.

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Gayle,
    Thank you. That means a lot to me. I wanted these to matter.
    Warmly,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how Amy LV had said "Remember.

    ReplyDelete