Saturday, September 18, 2010

MyPoWriYe #172 - Baby Raccoon



This poem is about something that always makes me sad - animals hit by cars.  Driving to a school on Wednesday morning, I saw a deer that had just been hit, and I guess I haven't been able to get it off my mind.  Somehow it doesn't feel right that creatures who don't even drive are killed by our cars.

Students - I wrote this poem in my head while driving along dark country roads last night.  When my ten-year-old daughter Georgia read it, she asked, "Why does it have to be a baby raccoon?  That just makes the poem sadder."   Sometimes life is sad indeed, and poems can be with us through our sadness.  Writing about injustice or sad topics can sometimes help us make sense of the world.  At the very least, it can help us find a word-home for our feelings.

(Please click on COMMENTS below to share a thought.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    Your poem rings true in my heart as well. I should not even say it living here in western NY with oodles of deer, but I have never really hit a deer. However, last spring one night after sunset I brushed by one that stumbled and got back up running off into the field. WOW that really shook me up and I prayed that she was okay.

    Continuing to talk up your wonderful blog and am adding it to the links on our class webpage.

    Happy sunny Saturday!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theresa! There is something sad about driving by an animal that lived just hours before. I'm glad you were ok last spring. I always do worry about that here. When one crosses, there are always two or three more, seems.

    Thank you for your words and sharing along on your webpage! I still would love to feature any of your class's neat poetry moments on a Poetry Friday if you would ever be interested. Anytime!

    Happy wee hours of Sunday!

    A.

    ReplyDelete