Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Read Seasons in Sunflowers...Poem #210


 August
Photo by Amy LV

 September
Photo by Amy LV


Driving around a couple of days ago, I saw this drooping sunflower.  I felt sad when I remembered its glory just two months before.  Then I felt happy, thinking about ten months from now, when all of its sunflower babies will be standing tall, some nearby and some far away.

Students - This poem is simply a description, a word picture, of one sunflower at two times in its life.  You probably noticed that this poem is divided into two stanzas, and each one takes place during a different month. In this poem, I wished to snap a wordshot of how a sunflower's head position changes over time.

Something about words here too: while this poem does not rhyme at the ends of its lines, you will hear that the first stanza rhymes some internal vowels: gazes, straight, and face.  In the second stanza, you hear more repetition of sounds: seeds, deeply, and weep.

A writer thinks much like being a scientist.  Look closely.  Quiet down.  Observe.  Today on the playground or later at home, stare at things.  Let one image capture you like a prisoner, and do not look away.  If you are reading this in writing workshop now, walk over to the window or take a walk outside.  Be wowed by an image.  Then write your description, as finely and truly as you are able.

As always, I would love to read any student poems that grow from your visits here.  Teachers, please leave a note in the comments if you are willing to share student work on a Poetry Peek Friday!

(Please click on COMMENTS below to share a thought.)

4 comments:

  1. "...as seeds deeply weep into earth."
    Brilliant image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a wanna-be poet, I'll be following your blog. As a homeschooling mother, I'll be gleaning ideas to share with my children. I'd love to see my eldest daughter, my writer girl, see poems out the window.

    monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photographs!! I also love that it was the images that inspired your poem and that you shared them with us!! I noticed some sunflowers just last week and felt exactly what you did!
    Suzy(Ile Bizard)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charles, Thank you, friend. A.
    ---------------------
    Monica, Oh, I hope you will join our Poetry Friday community....so many of us join and share everything-poetry each Friday. If you check my left column, you can see the roundup. We welcome you! When I learned about poems hiding everywhere, my life changed forever! A.
    ---------------------
    Suzy, We must be kindred spirits! I just want to hug those droopy sunflowers. Happy fall! A.

    ReplyDelete