Sunday, January 23, 2011

Meet a Pine Bride in Poem #298


 Snowy Pine at Night
Photo by Amy LV


I love driving through our country roads after a big snow.  The spruces, pines, and firs are so beautiful, heavy with layers of white winter coats.  I always feel so small driving beneath them.  And the little pines like the one above look so cute all dressed up in snowflakes!

Students - we all pass scenes of beauty every day, sometimes the same scenes over and over again.  They may be natural landscapes, people, buildings, or anything else.  As writers, we can capture such scenes with words, either describing them as they are or imagining a story as I have done here.

Try looking at the world through the camera of your eyes today.  Ask yourself, "What gorgeous or unusual image do I want to keep forever?  How will I do so?"  Then...do it!

Here is a lovely winter poetry book for you, edited by Barbara Rogasky and illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman.

Tomorrow I will introduce a week-long poetry challenge posed to me by fifth grade teacher Jamie Palmer from Klem South Elementary in Webster, NY.  All are welcome to play!

(Please click on COMMENTS below to share a thought.)

No comments:

Post a Comment