Saturday, April 9, 2011

Poems about Science


Discovering Science
by Amy LV

Poems about Science

Students - one of the advantages of becoming friends with and/or marrying someone with different interests than you is that you have the chance to learn about a whole new world.    This has been one of the great gifts of being married to Mark.  My husband knows so much about science that being with him is like being with one of those cartoon or TV science guys.  It's great (except when he saves dead birds in the freezer, but we won't talk about that.)

Science, like writing or drawing, is a whole way to look at the world.  It is a way of discovering connections and understanding the underpinnings of how everything works and works together. 

Here are a few science poems.  What scientific ideas interest or intrigue you?

 from December 2010


from March 2011


 from October 2010


from December 2010

Here are several more poems from this year, all inspired by science and nature.


Just this week, Tricia over at The Miss Rumphius Effect has posted on children's poetry from the sea.  Beautiful!  For a complete listing of Tricia's generous and extensive book lists, visit her page of Thematic Book Lists.

Teachers - writing poetry about scientific concepts is a wonderful way to wrap up each unit!

Throughout April, I will continue to post poetry lessons and poem examples from this past year of writing one poem each day.  These posts are written especially for classroom teachers and students, homeschooling families, and any other people who enjoy children's poetry.

This Month's Poetry Revisits and Lessons So Far

April 2 - Imagery
April 6 - Free Verse
April 8 - Classroom Poetry Peek & Circular Poems 
April 9 - Today - Poems about Science


(Please click on POST A COMMENT below to share a thought.)

4 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I am Carol Sloan. My artwork illustrates your poem in Patti Digh's book (What I Wish For You). Please email me as I have a question for you
    carolbsloan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    When I was teaching elementary school, I used to love integrating poetry with my science units. My students also wrote their poems about subjects they had studied about in science--trees, planets, the sun, the moon, butterflies, etc. We had a wonderful time reading and writing poetry. I wish Poem Farm had been around when I was still teaching. What a wonderful resource for teachers and budding poets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, I always wish that I had been in your class. You continue to teach us so much...but it would be lots of fun to be an eight-year-old in your library. Thank you for your generous comment - I am so grateful to this community! A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the poems you have written

    ReplyDelete