Friday, September 16, 2011

Hosting Poetry Friday & A Singing Lady


Welcome to today's Poetry Friday buffet...here! I hope you're hungry, as there will be many links to munch on throughout the day.

Plane Tickets




Students - today's poem comes from something that just happened to me...almost. This week, I had the chance to work with some fantastic and warm teachers in Ohio's West Carrollton Schools. Ohio is several hours from home, so this work required some air travel.


On Wednesday evening I flew home through Newark, and while in the airport restroom, I heard a woman singing a lovely and mysterious Spanish song. It was mysterious to me because I do not speak Spanish and because I have never sung in a public restroom. I just stood there, washing my hands, savoring water and words both.


Were there others there? No, we were alone. Was it in a store? No, it was in an airport. So no, the facts of this poem are not exactly accurate. That's why I say that this "almost" happened to me.


The facts are not exact, but the spirit and soul of this moment could not be more true. I was touched by the openness of song in a restroom, of joy in the most mundane moment of daily life. My evening was made more beautiful by this chance encounter, and I know that I will think about this lady again and again.


Remember this - you do not need a perfect memory or the exact facts of an event to recapture the mood and dust left upon your heart.


To leave your link for today, please click on "Mister Linky" below and add a direct link to your Poetry Friday post. Along with your link, please include your name or blog's name followed by the topic of your post in parentheses.


For example: The Poem Farm (Original poem "I Heard a Lady Singing")


I will add posts throughout the day, though I will be out for much of the morning. Please click below to see what's here, and I'll round everything up as soon as I get back home.




Today's Dishes at the Poetry Friday Buffet
Steven Witherow at Crackles of Speech offers up an original poem about Facebook titled "Friendism."


Charles Ghigna at Father Goose leads us into autumn with his original poem "Autumn's Way."


Myra Garces-Bascal at Gathering Books features poet Professor Gemimo Abad.


Julie Larios at The Drift Record, in love with New York City, shares Allen Ginsberg's poem "My Sad Self."


Mary Lee at A Year of Reading brings us David Budbill's "What We Need" and some donuts.


Mandy brings Target's "Haiku-pons" over at Enjoy and Embrace Learning.


Maria Horvath's Daily Poems shares a poem about the ambivalence of love, "I Can't Hold You and I Can't Leave You" by Juana Inez De La Cruz.


Debbie Diller at A Journey in Learning shares Jane Kenyon's "Trouble with Math in a One-Room Country School."


The Stenhouse Blog spotlights a poem by California English Teacher Gayle Hobbs, "Thinking Survived."


Laura Purdie Salas at Writing the World for Kids offers Alice Schertle's "Spider" from Alice's book KEEPERS.


Laura also invites us to join her 15 Words or Less Poems with a "Barred" photograph.


At Random Noodling, Diane Mayr brings "That's the Sum of It" by David Ignatow along with a video of Ignatow reading "I Killed a Fly."


Tabatha Yeatts at The Opposite of Indifference shares "Poor Angus" by Shel Silverstein.


At Kids of the Homefront Army, Diane Mayr has an original poem titled "Mail Call."


Diane also has cat poetry at Kurious Kitty's Kurio Kabinet, including "Pussycat Sits on a Chair" by Edward Newman Horn.


At Kurious K's Kwotes, Diane offers a quote from Picasso about art.


Robin Hood Black shares Rose Fyleman's poem, "The Best Game that Fairies Play."


Over at Author Amok, Laura has a tribute to neglected master, Samuel Menashe.


Dori ushers in fall with Jeanie Tomasko's poem, "Edge of September."


At Jama's Alphabet Soup, Jama feeds us Mary Oliver's "The Poet is Told to Fill Up More Pages."


Sally, at Paper Tigers, shares the book UNDERWATER FARMYARD by Carol Ann Duffy.


At Across the Page, Janet offers James Taylor's song, OUR TOWN along with thoughts about the recent flooding in Owego, NY.


JoAnn Early Macken has an original poem about revision, titled "Revising a Poem" at Teaching Authors.


Greg Pincus shares his original poem, "The Writer's Chant (Butt in Chair)" over at GottaBook.


At Picture Book of the Day, Anastasia Suen brings the book Cats, Cats by author-illustrator Michelle Nelson-Schmidt.


David Elzey offers some minimally invasive poems at Fomograms.


Over at The Small Nouns, Ben shares Walt Whitman's poem, "Miracles."


Elaine Magliaro continues taking us through the year with poetry books over at Wild Rose Reader.


To read Elaine's first post about poetry books through the year, visit Wild Rose Reader here.


At All About the Books, Janet Squires brings AMAZING FACES, edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins.


Pentimento offers us Jane Hirschfield's poem, "French Horn."


At Check it Out, Jone MacCulloch shares "The Words Under the Words" by Naomi Shihab Nye.


TeacherDance jumps into sharing on Poetry Friday for the first time with a poem for the beginning of school, James W. Hall's "Maybe Dats Your Pwoblem Too."


Over at Musings, Joyce Ray has an original 9/11 poem titled "Golden Seams."


Jennie, at Biblio File, offers up a Shel Silverstein poem from WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS.


At Twinkling Along, Carlie shares her original poem, "Lost Phone."


At There is No Such Thing as a God-Forsaken Town, Ruth shares "Hurry" by Marie Howe.


Please come back later for dessert!


I would like to invite you over to my new blog, Sharing Our Notebooks. In this space, you can expect regular sneak-peeks into the notebooks of others. (Maybe yours?) Today you can see the scrawls-before-books of Anne Mazer.


Thank you to my daughter Georgia for today's calligraphy!


(Please click on POST A COMMENT below to share a thought.)

32 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting, Amy. Great "singing" poem!

    My original poem today pokes a little fun at Facebook and its effect on the English language.
    http://cracklesofspeech.blogspot.com/2011/09/poetry-friday-friendism.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! Love your singing lady poem!
    Poetic Potty Muzak!

    Hope our poetry pals might enjoy our "Autumn's Way" at The FATHER GOOSE Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a lovely experience you just shared, Amy. I find that it is in unexpected, unaccounted moments such as these that inspire the poet within. Thank you for sharing that beautiful chance 'encounter' through your poem.

    Here is our contribution for Poetry Friday:
    http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/poetry-friday-gemino-abad-an-introduction/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting, Amy. I am a true believer in stopping to listen when strangers sing! I added my URL and description on the Mister Linky thing-a-ma-bog, but I'll add it here, too. I have had New York on my mind and in my heart all week, so posted a poem by Allen Ginsberg over at
    The Drift Record that offers up Manhattan in all its noisy beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My experience with that kind of singing was a woman singing in the shower at the health club around Christmas time. It sounded like she was practicing for a choir solo, and it was so beautiful that I stayed in my shower listening to her for way too long! I, too, enjoyed the water and the music!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's my link for today: http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2011/09/what-we-need.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's my link for today - thanks for hosting.
    http://enjoy-embracelearning.blogspot.com/2011/09/poetry-friday-target-and-haiku-pons.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for hosting, Amy.

    I like your poem. Sometimes a song will stay with you, providing the soundtrack for the day.

    On our blog we're continuing our look at love, with a poem today that expresses the Yes and No of Romance.

    http://www.ghpoetryplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting, Amy. I have a very clear memory of walking through the Mall of America's top floor during an odd hour. Hardly anyone was around, and maintenance crews were cleaning. This big guy with a wonderful voice was crooning old songs fairly loudly as he sang. You could tell how much enjoyment it gave him, and we were tickled, too. I wanted to just find a bench to sit and listen from!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new blog, Amy! And how lovely to have calligraphy by your daughter to welcome us. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The world needs more singing - thanks for sharing! Best wishes with the new blog. I'm in with a celebration of wee things - http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=812379

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amy - thanks for hosting. I don't have a link to share today, but I love this reminder about how we can invent & embellish in poetry... I think of all the literary forms people make the most assumptions about poetry being autobiographical. This is a good example of Ms. Emily's "Tell the truth but tell it slant." Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Amy. I like this window into how poems come to be. It reminds me of the advice (for poets): sometimes you have to lie to speak the truth.

    Poet Samuel Menashe died in late August. He was a master of economic language. I'm sharing a poem of his, some memories and links to obits. http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2011/09/poetry-friday-remembering-samuel.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting,Amy. I love your poem. It does capture the enchantment of the moment. And who cares about the facts? It's the image and the feeling that are the essence of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely poem, Amy. Those moments of accidental joy are great fodder for poetry.

    Today I'm sharing a Mary Oliver poem about writing.

    Thanks for hosting this delicious buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great poem. Thanks for capturing the moment so beautifully and sharing it.

    Thanks for hosting PF today, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the poem, Amy! I'm up with an original myself:

    The Writer's Chant

    Thanks for hosting....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've posted an original poem about revising a poem at TeachingAuthors.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy, love the poem, the ending, and what you say about moods and dust on your heart. I try to impress this upon my writing students, but now want to send them right here. You say it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I, too, love it. Here's my post, sharing a little Whitman from the bottom of my To Be Read pile.

    http://thesmallnouns.blogspot.com/2011/09/poetry-friday-from-under-pile.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for hosting, and for another wonderful friday post.

    this week i'm all minimalist, while privately singing childhood songs to myself. the first winds of fall seem to be stirring up my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy,

    Thanks for doing the roundup this week!

    At Wild Rose Reader, I have Poetry to Take You through the Year, Part 2--with reviews of three poetry collections about the months: John Updike's "A Child's Calendar"; Bobbi Katz's "Once Around the Sun"; and Karen Winnick's "A Year Goes Round:Poems for the Months."

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting! I have a poem about music up too:
    http://pentiment.blogspot.com/2011/09/poetry-friday-french-horn.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for hosting.
    My selection is "Amazing Faces" poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins with illustrations by Chris Soentpiet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this poem. I smiled.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the way you talked with your students about the importance of finding beauty in the smallest of mundane moments. This is my first poetry Friday post. I've loved reading everyone's post each week, so thought I'd give it a try. My poem may be familiar, about introspection on the part of Spiderman, useful for talking with young adolescents. http://teacherdance.blogspot.com/2011/09/poem-for-beginning-of-school-who-we-are.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Today I have "Hurry," by Marie Howe here. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. By the way, I love "the dust left upon your heart."

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Farm is all bright and spiffy! Amy, this post is masterful: the teaser of the plane tickets, the simplicity and immediacy of the poem, and the demonstration of how a real-life event becomes a poem: an experience does not have to be true to be True.

    And then, imagining myself as a 9-year-old student, I want to ask, "But why *didn't* you keep yourself in the airport bathroom? Why did you add in other people?"

    Don't you love those kinds of conversations? : )

    Thanks for hosting, and for tracking me down and commenting even though I didn't even have time to post my link. I've read most of NurtureShock but will check out the Genius book you mention. It's certainly true that every one of my 19 is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! You've been busy! What a great new look for your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Amy, I love the Poetry Friday idea. I saw your link through Anastasia Suens facebook post.I am a poet in San Diego, and I teach poetry to special ed high school students. I love seeing students get excited about their own creativity. How does one get involved with hosting Poetry Friday?

    deborah ramos
    www.aarmoryofaarmory.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you, everyone, for posting and commenting and sharing so many wonderful stories. Thank you, Heidi and Mary Lee, for the blog compliments too. I'm having some fun! Deborah - if you look on my sidebar, you'll see where Poetry Friday is each week. Next week you can write a poetry post and link in (see the information about PF in the sidebar for detailed information.) Then, once you've been around for a bit, you can host! Mary Lee at A Year of Reading puts the hosting schedule together. Hope to see you next week! A.

    ReplyDelete