Friday, October 19, 2012

Peacock - A Couplet Poem


Magic!
by Amy LV


 
Click the arrow to hear me read this poem to you.

Students - Today's poem started as an assignment as it started with couplet I wrote for Irene Latham's celebration of her new book, DON'T FEED THE BOY.  Irene is hosting Poetry Friday today and she invited many of us to write animal couplets to celebrate the book. You can read the collection of animal couplets at Live Your Poem.

Irene's idea is a fun one and one you might enjoy trying with your friends.  All you need to do is think of a topic that is easily broken up, a topic like school, or pets, or favorite foods.  (There are endless possibilities here!)  Then, each person write one couplet.  Once you gather them all up, decide on an order and title...and you've got it!  If anyone tries this, please let me know.  I'd love to host a collaborative couplet poem here.

If you would like to learn more about peacocks, visit National Geographic.  I am thinking that I might want to write a nonfiction peacock poem to go along with this one.

Speaking of animals and National Geographic, if you have not yet seen National Geographic's new BOOK OF ANIMAL POETRY, edited by Children's Poet Laureate J. Patrick Lewis, and full of gorgeous poems and photography, do not miss it.  I just checked it out of the library, and I'm in love.  This book is on my order-right-away list!  As you read, you will recognize many wonderful classics, and you'll be happy to find lots of your current Poetry Friday friends too.


Nina Crittenden is my guest at Sharing Our Notebooks this week.  Stop by and see the types of notebooks she uses and how she continues to create.  (You will also have a chance to be entered into Nina's generous drawing of a book and pocket notebook.)

Happy Poetry Friday!  Head on over to Live Your Poem to celebrate Irene Latham's new book, DON'T FEED THE BOY, and to see all of today's Poetry Friday posts.

Please share a comment below if you wish.
To find a poem by topic, click here. To find a poem by technique, click here.
Like The Poem Farm on Facebook for more poems, articles, and poemquotes!

9 comments:

  1. "I look at them and see the sea." Wonderful, Amy. You offer so many imaginative ideas to us and to students. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Swimming here in Peacock's tail" - great imagery! Nice job, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Amy! It's great to watch the surreal comparison of peacock and ocean develop in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deft as always, Amy. When I saw your couplet in the collaborative poem, I wondered where else it might lead. I wonder if something similar might be done with tiger's stripes and butterfly's wings?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to read your whole poem, Amy - and I love the whole group poem that irene has gathered. I like Heidi'd idea too.

    And I really must get hold of that national Geographic book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Swimming here in Peacock's tail...oh pretty, please, may I join you?

    And isn't the Nat.Geo book splendid? I spent about an hour with it yesterday, screaming poetry over the ruckus of two rambunctious boys who paused only long enough to kiss the animal pictures. Weird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lovely image of the "feather-ocean" stuck with me when I read the collaborative poem on Irene's blog. What a treat to get to dive into this idea further here. I hadn't seen the peacock-mermaid-ocean connection before, but I think I always will now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to see how your couplet grew!

    ReplyDelete